Monday, August 5, 2013

An Update If You Will

I have a request from any and everyone that reads this. Many of you already know what has been going on with my mother and for those that don’t, here is an explanation. Back in February of 2012, my mom was diagnosed with Stage 4 Colon Cancer. It has been a very long, scary road full of ups and downs. At one point we believed that she would beat this horrific disease but that is not the case. After her first round of chemo was complete, she was scheduled for surgery to remove what was left of the cancer cells. Our world fell apart when they went in and found that the cells had spread throughout her entire abdomen.

After many tests and another round of chemo, we have learned that there is no cure for her. The cells have mutated into an extremely aggressive type of cancer. It’s called the k-raz mutation. We found most of this out about 4 months ago. It has been very hard coming to terms with the fact that she will die from this. I don’t think that I will ever fully accept it, but I know that the end is near. It is both a blessing and a curse having this information. We hold on to each and every moment that we have left with each other. Two weeks ago my folks came to visit and it was the best visit we have had since I can remember. We all had so much fun. We were on a high from the frivolity we shard even after they left. We continued to text back and forth as they drove the four hours back home. The joy and happiness was quickly replaced with anxiety and sadness once they arrived home and had 11 messages from her Doctor on their answering machine.

The second round of chemo they used a different medicine and it was going very well. Her side effects were not nearly as severe as with the first round and the only downfall was that she actually lost her hair this time. This second round slowed the growth of the cells in all areas where the cancer had spread, except for the ovary. The Doctor said that the ovary is now the size of a football (American Football) and after a board review of her case they have decided to do a total hysterectomy as quickly as possible. I have a very bad feeling about this surgery tomorrow. I don’t know how or why, but I can’t shake it. Here is where the favor I asked for comes in. The only thing that we have left is hope and prayer. If you could Retweet this I’d consider it a prayer for my moms ability to make it through her surgery tomorrow. We still know that there is no cure, but we want to have all the time together that we can, for as long as we can.

Thank you to all of you that have been supporting me through all of this. I’m not sure I could have gotten through sometimes if it weren’t for several of you. Thank you to everyone else that will Retweet this and send a little prayer out into the universe for my mom and my family and I. Love to all of you.